Thursday, July 8, 2010

What Happened To Scrabble Zone

All Star Superman


I've never been and I do not think I'll ever be a fan of Superman, but there is no doubt a milestone in the history of comics and superheroes. I read some stories of the man of steel more than anything to have a complete picture of the universe DC, which certainly plays a starring role and often appears at events related to other characters. You may wonder why I've decided to buy a book containing a series and miniseries out continuty out, with no particular attachment to the past or current events or legends. Well, I'll be honest, the only reason the original is represented by the creative team. Grant Morrison for me is part of a trinity of comics inviolable, even with its ups and downs narrative (the others are Alan Moore and Neil Gaiman). Without taking anything away from other high-profile authors, both past and present American comics scene, they always manage to find these three reasons that narrative can not help but admire and envy. When that happens Morrison joins Frank Quitely, it takes even more mandatory in nature, because although my taste for design is more tied to a classic cartoon (a style Kubert brothers, so to speak), and tables Quitely can say anything but classic, the two together make a perfect match from all points of view. It will be a question of geography (both Scottish, both Glasgow), I do not know, the fact is that already on the X-Men, and now in this mini-series Superman, as well as other perhaps lesser-known works such as "Flex Mentallo" and "We3," the two together buy a storytelling smooth and engaging despite differ greatly, the first narrative, the second graph, by tradition.

However, it was enough to get through the introduction s ospettare that there must be something more. This suspicion arose when I read that a certain Mark Waid, a signatory of this introduction, claimed to have read every Superman story ever written and he had never read anything better. Whereas the proper Mark has almost marked his entire life to the DC Universe shots of stories, I believe that his sentence is far more of an opinion. Then I read it. And I can say that this is a volume that can not fail in library of any fan of the man of steel. As usual, nothing is easy with Grant Morrison, so I would not recommend this story to lovers of reading linear, or with plenty of space for action, pure and simple. Here we are dealing with a history of subtle and complex, and sometimes we seem not to understand certain phrases, some banter, the feeling we may have missed a page. It is a story that should read, metabolized, and then re-read with great attention to the smallest details, both narrative and graphics, which are intertwined past the physical limit of the current chapter, so that a sentence of the first pages can be understood only after read the last two. Whole History is full of these devices, that have graced it from the point of view of the overall message. I feel I can say, not fond of the hero in question, that this story explains everyone who is Superman, what it represents for the world and what the world is for him. Read it. And do not worry if Superman is dying. In the words of Lois Lane in the last chapter, when he has finished doing what he is doing, Superman returns.

0 comments:

Post a Comment